At Blue Sky Organic Farm, we have a wide variety of fresh produce. We also have a broad spectrum of birds running around. We have chickens, roosters, and DUCKS!
In our farm store, we sell both chicken and duck eggs, but most people have no idea why they should buy duck eggs when chicken eggs are readily available. Well, there are definite benefits to eating duck eggs. Here are just a couple.
1. They’re bigger. Duck eggs are, on average, 30% bigger than chicken eggs. They also have much larger yokes.
2. They are great for cooking. Duck eggs contain less water and more fat than chicken eggs. They also have a firmer white. This is a pastry chef’s dream. Cakes and breads tend to rise better when cooked using duck eggs, and cookies will be more moist and chewy.
3. Duck eggs are more nutritious. Surprise! They contain more vitamins A, B12 and D, as well as higher levels of Omega-3 than chicken eggs. Duck eggs also offer nutritional value because of their increased selenium and iron content, getting you the minerals your body needs to stay healthy.
4. They stay fresher longer due to their thicker shells and membranes.
5. Duck eggs are an alkaline-producing food. What does that mean? Duck eggs are one of the few foods that leave your body more alkaline which is a great benefit to your general health. This can also greatly benefit cancer patients since cancer cells don’t thrive in an alkaline environment. We’re not saying miracle food, but …
6. They’re ideal for people with allergies. Some people can’t eat chicken eggs due to a food allergy; these same people often do not have any adverse effects from eating duck eggs. An easy substitution!
Now, there’s no need to throw all your chicken eggs away. All eggs are known for high protein and nutritional value. But hey, why not give duck eggs a try at Blue Sky?