So there you are in the kitchen… saying to yourself “ok I listened to Rj, and picked up an amazing local organic chicken and a loaf of Noble Bread, from the Farm store…now what”
Well here is your answer…
Roasted New School Acres Chicken with Garlic and Noble Bread
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 New School Acres Chicken
- 1 loaf Noble Bread
- 2 heads of garlic, lightly smashed, trimmed and peeled
- 2 sprigs rosemary (the larger the better)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Parsley, for serving
- Rinse (with cold water) and dry the chicken and season with salt and pepper. (Don’t under salt!) Put bird loosely covered with parchment on a plate in the fridge.
- Cut the bread into bite-sized pieces. Leave out in a bowl covered with a dishtowel.
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Chop half the herbs and break down garlic.
- Take the chicken from the fridge and pat dry.
- Toss the bread with smashed garlic cloves, the chopped herbs, zest of half a lemon, and the olive oil.
- Pour bread mixture in to the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Cut lemon in half, and stuff into chicken cavity with remaining herbs. I like to tie or pin the bird shut but that is not necessary, it’s just the way I was trained.
- Place chicken in the roasting pan on top of the bread.
- Roast your chicken for about an hour (stir bread as you go so it all gets nice and toasty) bird should read 165 on a bio-therm.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. (Big mistake I see home cooks make is not letting proteins rest)
- I like to add the juices from rested chicken to my bread mixture, sprinkle with parsley and serve.