There were a variety of dishes specially created for our friends who joined us for the Open Farm Day event. Perhaps this provided you an opportunity to try your first roasted radish, or a sage infused scone. Each were made with ingredients picked fresh from our fields.
You may have gotten to try a few samples of these delicious appetizers. However, was one sample truly enough? We don’t think so either! We want more! So, let’s make some at home. Let’s be adventurous, try something new in the kitchen. Here it is, the star of samples! Blue Sky’s Turnip Bruschetta, created by our friend, Chef Peter Russo! Thank you, Peter, for creating a new favorite and sharing the recipe with our Farm Blog.
WHITE TURNIP BRUSCHETTA
(recipe by Chef Peter Russo)
- 4-6 medium White Turnips
- 2 Tbsps. Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 handful Parsley
- Fresh Baguette
- Homemade Balsamic Dressing (ingredients below)
- 1 part Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 parts Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard (powder)
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Fennel Frawns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Dice White Turnips, toss in salt and olive oil. Place on baking sheet to roast (use parchment paper for easy clean up)
- Roast for 20-30 mins
- Meanwhile chop Parsley and create Balsamic Dressing (directions below)
- In a small bowl add Balsamic Vinegar, Dry Mustard, and Honey
- Mix well with a fork
- Add in the Olive Oil and chopped Fennel Frawns and mix with fork.
- Once White Turnips are done, allow them to cool.
- Then add Balsamic Dressing, and toss well.
- Serve on top of sliced and lightly toasted Baguette.
And, in honor of another Farm Favorite vegetable: Zesty Radish Dip (recipe sourced from Wholesome Harvest)
ZESTY RADISH DIP
- 2 small shallots, trimmed
- 1/2 cup fresh radishes (about 6 small), washed & trimmed
- 8 oz. cream cheese (low-fat is fine)
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (substitute prepared horseradish, if you like it hotter)
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Place shallots and radishes in the bowl of a small food processor fitted with a sharp blade; process until very finely minced.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until well-blended.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours for best flavor.
- Serve with whole-grain or pumpernickel breadsticks or crackers.