Super-Quick Roast Chicken with Garlic and White Wine Gravy
1 Blue Sky Organic farms, skin-on chicken, cut into eight pieces and backbone removed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Blue Sky garlic bulb, halved
8 sprigs Blue Sky thyme, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chicken stock (purchase Blue Sky at The Farm Store)
1 cup white wine, divided
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400° F Season the chicken with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Put a large, deep roasting pan on the stove over high heat. (Using a roasting pan instead of a frying pan not only saves on the washing time but also means you can use the chicken juices in your gravy.)
- Put the garlic, half the thyme, and the oil in the roasting pan. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side down, and cook, without stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until the chicken skin is crisp and golden. Turn off the heat.
- Turn the chicken over and gently, without pouring directly over the skin, pour the stock and 1/2 cup wine into the pan. This will ensure the skin stays crisp. Place the remaining thyme on top of the chicken and bake for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Arrange the chicken on a serving plate.
- Put the roasting pan on the stove over medium heat and use a fork to mash the garlic. Use a wooden spoon to mix in the flour, then, whisking continuously with a fork, add the remaining 1/2 cup wine to deglaze the pan (make sure you scrape all the sticky goodness off the bottom). Simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
Serve the chicken with the gravy drizzled on top. Perfect with mashed Blue Sky Yukon Gold potatoes and sautéed Blue Sky spinach!!